American Express is withdrawing the supply of $36 of credit at chosen cafes and eating places at Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane and Gold Coast airports by way of AMEX Platinum card membership to the worldwide Priority Pass lounge scheme.
While entry to Priority Pass-partnered lounges will stay obtainable, AMEX Australia is eradicating “non-lounge airport experiences from Priority Pass for its card members.”
A spokesperson for American Express confirmed to Australian Business Traveller that it will take impact from August 1, 2019, according to comparable modifications within the US market.
“As our lounge access benefits are intended to provide card members with premium lounge spaces to relax and unwind in while traveling the globe, the Priority Pass Membership benefit offered on American Express Platinum and Centurion Cards in Australia and New Zealand will no longer include complimentary access to non-lounge airport experiences from 1 August 2019.”
“Non-lounge airport experiences and outlets include but are not limited to restaurants, cafés and bars where a food and beverage credit is offered as an alternative to entrance into a traditional airport lounge.”
Many enterprise travellers have made strong use of their AMEX-issued Priority Pass membership to take pleasure in a pre-flight or post-flight meal at a dozen eating places, bars and bistros at Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane and Gold Coast airport terminals.
Sydney’s Movida at Terminal 2 has confirmed particularly widespread – not solely with passengers booked on home Jetstar flights underneath ‘lowest fare of the day’ journey insurance policies, but in addition Virgin Australia passengers preferring Movida’s meals, drinks and cafe atmosphere to that of Virgin’s personal lounge nearby.
Free Priority Pass membership is obtainable with the next American Express playing cards:
- American Express Centurion Card (Australia)
- American Express Platinum Card (Australia, New Zealand)
- American Express Platinum Business Card (Australia)
- American Express Corporate Platinum Card (Australia)
- American Express Platinum Reserve Credit Card (Australia)
- American Express Platinum Rewards Credit Card (Australia)
- American Express Airpoints Platinum Card (New Zealand)
- American Express Airpoints Platinum Reserve Card (New Zealand)
American Express Centurion and Platinum Charge playing cards allowed limitless use of the Priority Pass food and drinks credit, whereas different playing cards have been restricted to 2 lounge visits – or airport restaurant visits – per yr.
The following Australian airport lounges can be found to AMEX Platinum Charge and Centurion Card members at airports the place complimentary Priority Pass eating choices are presently obtainable:
- Sydney T2 (home): the Rex lounge, plus the Virgin Australia lounge for AMEX Centurion and Platinum Charge cardholders when flying with Virgin
- Sydney T1 (worldwide): whereas there isn’t any Priority Pass lounge per se, eligible AMEX cardholders are welcomed at the American Express lounge
- Melbourne T2 (worldwide): after passport management, select between the Plaza Premium Lounge and the American Express lounge
- Brisbane home: solely AMEX Centurion and Platinum Charge cardholders can entry the Virgin Australia lounge, and solely when flying on Virgin Australia
- Brisbane worldwide: after passport management, go to the Plaza Premium Lounge
- Gold Coast: solely AMEX Centurion and Platinum Charge cardholders can entry the Virgin Australia lounge, and solely when flying on Virgin Australia
- Adelaide home: Rex Lounge
- Cairns worldwide: Reef Lounge
- Darwin worldwide: Catalina Lounge